KDE Eco virtual Sprint | 10:30 CET (UTC+1), Saturday 11 December

Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss joseph at kde.org
Thu Dec 2 17:23:45 GMT 2021

Hi all,

due to the current Corona situation we will unfortunately be postponing
the in-person Sprint next week. The good news is we will have a virtual
Sprint instead ... and you are welcome to join us wherever you are!

There's a lot we hope to do to move KDE Eco forward -- check out the end
of this email for some ideas -- and we'd love to see you there!

If you are interested in obtaining a power meter and doing some energy
consumption measurements on your own, be in touch before the Sprint. We
should be able to arrange something.

_Summary_

*When*: Saturday 11 December, 10:30 CET (UTC+1), group check-in every
two hours

*Where (BBB)*: https://meet.kde.org/b/jos-l59-2i1-9yt

*Who*: We + you!

*Group chat (Matrix)*:
https://webchat.kde.org/#/room/#energy-efficiency:kde.org

*What*: see below for ideas and links

_Details_

We will meet as a group at 10:30 CET (UTC+1) and then break off into
smaller groups to work on various tasks (see below) together. We'll have
no official end time -- no reason to unnecessarily limit ourselves :)
Every two hours we will check in as a group to see how things are
progressing.

At the end of the Sprint we will document what was achieved to share our
achievements with the larger KDE/Free Software communities.

Please feel free to send any of your own ideas and/or wishes to me or
the group. Your input will help make the event be the best it can be.

See you Saturday next week (11 December)!

Cheers,
Joseph

Some ideas:

_Collecting data on your own_
  * Obtain power meters for individuals (be in touch in advance)
  * Compare higher-end power meters with cheaper ones (see Volker
Krause's blog post:
https://volkerkrause.eu/2020/10/17/kde-cheap-power-measurement-tools.html)

_Measurement lab tools_
  * Emulation tools
    * Work on David Hurka's proposal "KVisualWorkflowTester"
(https://invent.kde.org/davidhurka/kvisualworkflowtester)
    * Other tools?
  * Standard Usage Scenario scripts (please join our meetup on 8
December:
https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/energy-efficiency/2021-December/000040.html)
    * Work on Nicolas Fella's Kate xdotool/bash script specifically for
BE measurements (may need to run for more time;
https://invent.kde.org/-/snippets/1937)
    * Prepare scripts for Kate/GCompris/etc. for BE measurements
  * Data analysis tools
    * Improve/update OSCAR (see
https://gitlab.rlp.net/a.guldner/OSCAR-public)
    * Other statistical tools/scripts?
  * Automate measurement process (e.g., start SUS script, collect and
analyze data, and then generate report)

_Blauer Engel applications_
  * Complete Okular/Kmail submissions (see
https://invent.kde.org/cschumac/blue-angel-application)
  * Prepare Krita submission (see measurement data at
https://invent.kde.org/cschumac/feep/-/tree/master/measurements/krita)
  * Plan other submissions (Kate, GCompris)
  * Prepare user autonomy documentation for KDE software (see
https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/energy-efficiency/2021-September/000025.html)
  * Automate BE application process (e.g., extract log file of actions
from Standard Usage Scenario scripts)

The above ideas are also here:
https://invent.kde.org/joseph/be4foss/-/issues/26

--
KDE Eco: Building Energy-Efficient Free Software!

Website: https://eco.kde.org