kio-extras and the KF5/KF6 period

Nicolas Fella nicolas.fella at gmx.de
Thu May 25 11:51:32 BST 2023

Hi,

Am 17.05.23 um 00:02 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> kio-extras provides plugins for kio.
>
> So KF5 applications want a KF5 kio-extras and KF6 applications want a KF6 kio-
> extras.
This is also the case in more places, e.g. Breeze/Oxygen and
plasma-integration, so having a unified approach would make sense.
> If we're going to support a period on which we ship both Kf5 and KF6 based
> applications we need to:
>
> Make sure kf5 and kf6 are coinstallable.
>
> a) release two tarballs, one for each KF

In some cases, where there is a large enough divergence between the 5
and 6 code we might want to have separate branches to maintain those
(e.g. master is Qt6 and we have a qt5-compat branch).

Having separate branches would imply separate tarballs.

How would this work with version numbers and tags? We'd have something
like v23.08.0-qt5 and v23.08.0-qt6?

> b) release one tarball that compiles both for kf5 and kf6
This would be my preferred approach for things with little divergence
between 5 and 6, i.e. not enough divergence to justify a separate branch.
> c) just release the kf6 tarball, stop releasing the kf5 tarball but ask
> distributions to still install it

You mean installing the last KF5-based release? How well this works
would depend on the amount of non-bugfix work we want to put into the
Qt5 variant.

For Breeze in particular this could mean that the appearance of Qt5 and
Qt6 apps could get out of sync.

> What's everyone's preference?
>
> Cheers,
>    Albert