Re: kio-extras and the KF5/KF6 period

Bernhard Rosenkränzer bero at lindev.ch
Wed May 17 00:09:07 BST 2023

Hi,

On Wednesday, May 17, 2023 00:02 CEST, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:

> If we're going to support a period on which we ship both Kf5 and KF6 based
> applications we need to:
>
> Make sure kf5 and kf6 are coinstallable.

I'm currently packaging a first KF6 snapshot in OpenMandriva. Looks pretty good already, but there's still a few problems with coinstallability, esp. when building man pages is enabled (some of them still have *5 names, conflicting with the identical parts in kf5, even where corresponding binaries have been renamed).

Of course some bits like kded still use conflicting *5 names even for the core parts.

> a) release two tarballs, one for each KF
> b) release one tarball that compiles both for kf5 and kf6
> c) just release the kf6 tarball, stop releasing the kf5 tarball but ask
> distributions to still install it
>
> What's everyone's preference?

Depends: If the code is virtually the same with a few ifdefs, b) is good to make sure the kf5 version still gets fixes when all development has moved on. If the divergence becomes too big, either a) or c) works for us - probably no need for frequent releases of the kf5 version (so that would be c) + possibly a kf5 release if a major bug is found/fixed, but not necessarily with every kf6 release).

ttyl
bero