kio-extras and the KF5/KF6 period

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Tue Jun 20 14:14:35 BST 2023

On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 2:58 PM Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano at tiscali.it> wrote:

> David Redondo ha scritto:
> > Am Mittwoch, 17. Mai 2023, 00:02:18 CEST schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> >> kio-extras provides plugins for kio.
> >>
> >> So KF5 applications want a KF5 kio-extras and KF6 applications want a KF6
> >> kio- extras.
> >>
> >> If we're going to support a period on which we ship both Kf5 and KF6 based
> >> applications we need to:
> >>
> >> Make sure kf5 and kf6 are coinstallable.
> >>
> >> a) release two tarballs, one for each KF
> >> b) release one tarball that compiles both for kf5 and kf6
> >> c) just release the kf6 tarball, stop releasing the kf5 tarball but ask
> >> distributions to still install it
> >>

> > Harald and I prototyped another solution to build a Qt
> >  5 and Qt 6 version out of the same repo and employed it on
> > plasma-integration: https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-integration/-/
> > merge_requests/91
> > This has the advantage of having the code for both versions in
> > the same place and the Qt5 version being not stuck on some old
> >  version. Also the translations can be shared automatically since
> > they use the same catalog.
> > There is one case  where Qt uses unversioned targets and one
> > unversioned ecm variable but cadavidn be easily worked around.
>

> This is good for example for phonon, and in the future and in retrospective
> for stuff like qtcurve, but not much for kio-extras, where the codebases
> started to diverge.

I don't quite follow, as you can see it uses two different source
directories cause the goal was to split qt5 and 6 implementations due
to impl divergence. So in point of fact divergence is intended and
possible. We basically have two source directories in the same branch
and build. We believe a similar technique can be used with repos with
little divergence just as well as for ones with huge divergence.

HS