[CMake and run time dependencies] Re: Do not split QML packages

Sandro Knauß sknauss at kde.org
Tue Aug 15 13:16:06 BST 2023

Hey,

> The policy may have seemed a good idea back then when it was introduced, but
> in my opinion the right thing to do [after it has been the cause of so many
> issues that could have been avoided] would be to reconsider it and ideally
> reach the conclusion of not splitting up QML packages into a multitude of
> small-QML packages.

The base problem, is that there is no proper way to detect QML dependencies.
All distribution needs to manage them manually or have some of basic scripting
to detect those dependencies. Keep in mind that build depdendecies != binary
dependencies.

It won't help at all to have only one qml package per repo.

I install kirigami-addons-dev (that will install all the qml packages) as
build dependency, this doesn't automatically make the binary depend on any qml
package. So this list must managed by hand (independently if all qml is
shipped in one or multiple packages). Okay it is easier to just add one
package, but in the end it is error prune to do this all by hand. And a
standardized automatic way would help a lot.

I actually asked on this ml on 30.3 about how distributions handle this issue
and actually there are some basic scripts, but not any distribution is happy
about the heir current state.
https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/distributions/2023-March/001342.html

So if you want to improve the situation that providing such a script every
distribution would benefit.

Regards,

sandro