[CMake and run time dependencies] Re: Do not split QML packages

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Tue Aug 15 09:32:13 BST 2023

El dimarts, 15 d’agost de 2023, a les 8:42:09 (CEST), Sune Vuorela va
escriure:
> On 2023-08-15, Nate Graham <nate at kde.org> wrote:
> > It's fairly common for runtime QML modules to get missed by packagers
> > and result in runtime breakage for users. The more QML libraries get
> > sliced-and-diced into tiny parts, the more opportunities there are for
> > this to happen.
>
> I'm quite sure that we as packagers will stop having bugs in their
> packages the same time we as upstream stop having bugs in the software
> we produce.

This thread is not about "packaging bugs" in abstract, obviously mistakes
happen and they can be fixed.

This thread about a policy that has been proven to be wrong (splitting one of
our packages in multiple little packages) for a long time[*] and packagers
seem to refuse to fix it.

The policy may have seemed a good idea back then when it was introduced, but
in my opinion the right thing to do [after it has been the cause of so many
issues that could have been avoided] would be to reconsider it and ideally
reach the conclusion of not splitting up QML packages into a multitude of
small-QML packages.

> What we as upstream can do to make our lives as packagers easier is to
> have a few sane[1] and trustable autotests that ensures at least basic
> functionality.

Why should upstream do anything to make the live easier for downstreams that
decided to complicate their live by themselves?

As you pointed out, we have lots of actual bugs to fix, so helping with self
inflicted bugs seems a bit of a waste of our time.

Cheers,
  Albert

[*] I was already suffering from this "split a single QML package into
multiple sub-packages" issue back when i worked on the Ubuntu Phone back in
2011-2017