New releases for bugfixes

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Fri Aug 26 10:27:16 BST 2022

On Friday, 26 August 2022 01:35:55 CEST Ahmad Samir wrote:
>  From a packager's point of view, I think it is the same amount of work to
> grab a commit from upstream git and rebuild a package or to package a new
> point release.

For FreeBSD things, it works like this:

- Email on this list saying "please backport <hash> for <thing>"
  - Figure out which package contains <thing> (usually easy, since invent
names map in a straightforward fashion to FreeBSD package names)
  - Download the <hash> as a patch from invent (always more complicated than I
want it to be because I forget how to make GitLab give me a raw patch)
  - Add the patch in the files/ directory of the relevant package
  - Bump PORTREVISION
  - Build locally
  - Commit
- Email on this list saying "there is a new .tweak release of <thing>"
  - Figure out which package contains <thing> (usually easy, since invent
names map in a straightforward fashion to FreeBSD package names)
  - Disconnect the package from the global versioning scheme for KDE packages
(there's one setting that says "all of plasma is 22.08.1", so if there is a
single part that has a different version, it needs special handling)
  - Set DISTVERSION specifically
  - Fetch the new version and update checksums
  - Build locally
  - Commit
  - Some weeks later, at the next non-tweak release, remember to reconnect to
the global versioning scheme

At the point of the patch / bugfix release, the amount of work is about the
same: edit one or two lines, build, done. But having multiple tweaks out
there, and different versions of tarballs while **also** having regular
"everything is back in version-number-sync now" releases is administratively
more complicated.

[ade]