New releases for bugfixes

Ahmad Samir a.samirh78 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 00:35:55 BST 2022

On 25/8/22 18:55, Nate Graham wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> Right now when we fix a significant bug in our software that may take a
> while to reach users to to the release schedule of its repo, we contact
> distros and ask them to backport it. This puts the burden on distros to
> react to us.

Creating a new point bug-fix release would only work when distros react.

 From a packager's point of view, I think it is the same amount of work to grab a commit from
upstream git and rebuild a package or to package a new point release.

> I'm wondering how people feel about KDE instead making
> immediate point releases ourselves. Thus we would take responsibility
> for releasing fixes for our own regressions, and distros that monitor
> KDE infrastructure for new tarballs could be notified automatically.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Nate

We find an issue >>> new point release (new tarball created, signed and uploaded ...etc); found
another issue the next day >>> another point release...

And that's assuming release teams will create a new tarball and make it ready as soon as you send an
email? they're not available 24/7; whereas sending an email to this ML, every packager could grab
the patch immediately.

Regards,
Ahmad Samir