New user experience

Ron applebach at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 22:13:35 GMT 2024

Hi,  wow its been over 10 years since I ran a Mailman list server!  Sure
wish you would convert to a FORUM system.

Just wanted to pass on a few things.  PLEASE in NO WAY consider this as
criticism!!  I looked around and Digikam looks like it would fit my needs -
photo management with lots of features and the ability to create a
website.  I was using Rhotoalbum http://rhotoalbum.valibuk.net/ and I even
wrote a perl/gtk script to easily let me view pics and add comments.

During setup the RAW options are not something I would need to see.  All my
pics are jpeg's so I created a small album for year 2005.  It then indexed
all the photos (350 pics in 9 folders).  So then I decided I would delete
that album and change the location where the digikam maintains its db files
so they werent in my pic folder.  I tried to delete the top album 2005 but
that wasnt an option.  I tried to select the range of sub-albums but that
wasnt possible. So I manually deleted the albums.  Then I found out that
the actual pics had also been deleted.  Good thing I keep everything backed
up.

Before I did that I tried to change the comments on the folders.  Very
tedious. I still am confused about comments vs tags. Although I was hoping
I could easily apply a tag to all objects in a folder(album) and then
besides the main album, have seperate pages linking to those say like
trips, people, pets.

What I want is something that will NOT modify my original photos unless I
approve any changes,  let me tag and add comments easily (I have 15k pics,
918 folders), generate a website creating scaled down pics and creating
thumbs (HTML Gallery).  I will maintain where the photos live on the HD.

I read through the Digikam epub manual and am excited to spend more time
with it.

Is there a dedicated viewer instead of having to load the main program?

Sorry for the long post,  I  just wanted to pass on my experience so far
and see what people have to say :-)

-Ron