Question about video tags when sharing library

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 15:23:49 GMT 2024

Hi,

Mostly videos are read only files for metadata. Use XMP side-cars to
export digiKam information from the database to the disk.

https://docs.digikam.org/en/setup_application/metadata_settings.html#sidecars-settings

On the colleague computer create the XMP side-car file in batch using
maintenance tool :

https://docs.digikam.org/en/maintenance_tools/maintenance_metadata.html

This can take a while. After that, import all files (JPG + Video + XMP
sidecar file) to the new computer with a fresh digiKam installation
(new database). At first start, configure the collection and let
digiKam scan files including XMP sidecar (take care to set XMP sidecar
to use to read metadata).

The new database must be created without losing information.

Best

Gilles Caulier