Archive photos to DVD (James Orr)

Jens Benecke jens-digikam at spamfreemail.de
Mon Feb 26 15:31:58 GMT 2024

I beg to differ.

It's not *that hard* to keep a good backup strategy.
You just need to get started at all, and, yes maybe have *initial* help
from an IT expert.

I spent about 800€ on our NAS (Synology Diskstation + 2 12TB harddisks),
and I spend about 15€ monthly on 5TB of remote SSH storage (no Microsoft
or Google) which is the offsite backup and encrypted. Don't use external
harddisks, they are usually badly ventilated (= die young) and just need
to be dropped once and that's it.

I use *Borgbackup <borgbackup.readthedocs.io>* to do the actual heavy
lifting on several PCs, one Macbook and one Raspberry Pi, but if you
want to have a nice desktop backup GUI you can have a look at *Kopia
<https://kopia.io/>*, which is very similar and possibly easier to use.

Both are fast, secure (backups are encrypted), can deduplicate (not just
"incremental" backups but "forever incremental"), and open source (=
available everywhere and forever).
Backup snapshots and archives can be mounted and browsed with any file
manager - even the remote backups - so you can restore anything at any
point of time to anywhere.
Borg even has a "append-only" mode where it will prevent deletion of old
snapshots, to guard against malware attacks that try to delete your backups.

Keep your data local, and create two parallel backup jobs (3-2-1 rule):
one onto your NAS (hourly if you like), and one onto your cloud storage
(maybe daily).
Don't backup your NAS backup: if the NAS backup breaks silently for some
reason, you'll just duplicate the failure to the cloud and have won
nothing.  See this Borg FAQ entry
<https://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/faq.html#can-i-copy-or-synchronize-my-repo-to-another-location>.

Borg saves a daily snapshot of my system, roughly 700GB of data and
400'000 files in total (not just photos), to the NAS in about 5 minutes.
I have a 2013-era i5 Haswell CPU.

You don't need to spend $10,000 for a good backup solution.
But you *do* need to get started at some point.

Regards,
Jens

--
Regards, Jens