Archive photos to DVD

Jens Benecke jens-digikam at spamfreemail.de
Sun Feb 25 21:05:20 GMT 2024

I agree.

Up to about 10 years ago, I used to do regular archival backups to DVD.
I waited until I had roughly 4.5GB of data to get off the harddisk, then
prepared and burnt a DVD, made a file listing of it, and put it away.

Long story short: It was a mess.

First the actual burning process was always an extra task and it was
"final" so I delayed it far too long because it needed to be "perfect"
(regarding labeling, ordering and sorting out what to actually archive).
Then I noticed the DVD discs started to deterioate after ~5 years, far
sooner than everybody said, and read errors occured, and I started
making two copies of all DVDs, and regularly testing them, which was a
huge amount of work.
Then actually *finding* a photo turned out to be much more difficult
than I thought, with filenames being non-unique and metadata search not
properly working across multiple offline media.
And finally, there's the price. One DVD is cheap, but 8GB of data today
is just about 1000 JPG images with today's cameras. You'll need a LOT of
DVDs long term.

I am now using a 1TB SSD ($50) in the PC to keep my complete image
collection online (around 360GB as of now), and do a daily incremental
encrypted backup of all images and the rest of my $HOME directory to a
NAS using BorgBackup <https://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/>,
which works like a charm and just takes a few minutes after the initial
full backup. You could also use online storage, you can get 1TB for as
low as $6 a month. Or better yet, both (follow the 3-2-1 rule).

I bought the NAS 13 years ago to do backups. It has two harddisks which
are in a mirroring RAID setup, and so far I have had to replace a
failing harddisk twice - both times without data loss and with minimum
fuss; rebuliding a RAID array takes time, but is completely automated.

My take: Don't use DVDs for archival purposes. When (not if) they rot,
your data is gone and you might not even notice.

:-)

Jens

--
Regards, Jens