Archive photos to DVD

James Orr james.orr at orrenterprises.us
Sat Feb 24 18:03:01 GMT 2024

I generally agree with the cautions in this thread. Especially with the need for redundancy. My workflow includes storing all my images on a Win 11 workstation to mirrored 3TB HDDs. I make daily incremental + monthly full backup to NAS. I worry about losing the corpus to a sudden disaster and don't have a solution yet. Uploading to the cloud seems to be too slow to be practical, and no family is nearby.
However, the basic truth is that the best archival storage for photographs is an excellent print on archival media. The only tech needed to view the output is available light and functional eyes.

All digital media are evanescent. Have you recently tried to access images from a 5.25" SSFD? Who knows what will be here 40 years from now.

James Orr