Missing thumbnails

Milind Joshi mmjoshi at iitbombay.org
Thu Oct 12 09:32:14 BST 2023

I have been using digiKam for a number of years. Being an open source
fan digiKam along with RawTherapee and Gimp are my tools to manage my
photography workflow.

Couple of days back, I noticed thumbnails missing from some of my
collections. Rather than figuring out why it happened, I tried to
refresh the collection thinking that the thumbnails will be generated
again. digiKam progress display in the bottom right does show that the
Thumbs are being generated. However, the progress indicator stays stuck
at 0% forever. Thinking that the database could have been corrupted, I
used the Maintenance tool to clean the thumbnail database. This was done
successfully. However, when I tried to refresh my collection to generate
the thumbnails the same problem of the progress bar for thumbs
generation staying at 0% is repeated.

What could be the problem? More importantly how to I recover from it.
It's impossible to manage the workflow without seeing the thumbnails.

I am on Windows 11 and have digiKam 8.1.0 on my laptop.

Need solution for this urgently!

mj