DigiKam 7.9.0 reads ctime instead of mtime, if file contains no metadata

Peter Albrecht peter at crazymonkeys.de
Fri Nov 10 17:58:00 GMT 2023

Hello list,

I updated digiKam from 7.1.0-2 (Debian 11) to 7.9.0-1+b2 (Debian 12) and now I
experience a difference about timestamps read from files.
Importing a picture (or audio file or video file), which does not contain a
timestamp in EXIF, to digiKam...
... old digiKam 7.1.0 did take the files "modification timestamp" (mtime).
... new digiKam 7.9.0 now takes the files "change timestamp" (ctime).

Why is this a problem for me?
I have some file in which I do not want to embed metadata like timestamps. To
keep the information "when was this picture taken / video recorded", I write
this information to the files modification time (mtime). It is not the best
solution, but if you handle the file with care (e.g. using "cp -a"), you can
manage to preserve this information.
You can't use change time (ctime) for this purpose, since it changes everytime
you move or rename the file. And there is no easy way like "touch" to change the
ctime.
So if digiKam reads the timestamp from a files "ctime", my information "when was
this picture taken" will not be imported to the digikam database.

Do you have any idea, why this behaviour changed? Is there a way to configure
digiKam, using the "mtime" again? Should I file a bug for this?

Thank you for reading,

Peter Albrecht

+++ My Settings:

[x]: means "checked / enabled"
[ ]: means "not checked / disabled"

Settings > Metadata > Behaviour
  [x] Timestamps
  [ ] Update file modification timestamp when files are modified
  [x] Rescan files when files are modified
  [ ] Clean up the metadata from the database when rescan files

Settings > Metadata > Sidecars
  [ ] Read from sidecar files
  [ ] Write to sidecar files

Settings > Metadata > Baloo
  [ ] Store metadata from digiKam in Baloo
  [ ] Read metadta from Baloo

Settings > Miscellaneous > Behaviour
  [x] Scan for new items at startup
     [ ] Fast scan