Digikam not working properly (on Fedora 38 GNOME)

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 08:31:52 GMT 2023

Le mer. 1 nov. 2023 à 20:55, Jethro Busby <jethrobusby at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi Gilles,
> I've been reading about AppImages, and it seems to me that they're not
> designed for long term use - the whole no install thing. Do I misunderstand?

AppImage is like the other bundle under linux as Snap or Flatpak (you use
already one of this previously), excepted the non chroot mechanism which
restrict access to the system by the application. This is a heresy for me.
Since a very long time, Linux application work fine without restrictions,
why to mime, Windows here, as we know that system is badly designed from
the start...

> What's the best way to install Digikam on linux? I'm very new to this
> whole linux thing.

Try the AppImage. It just a stand alone executable which will uncompress in
a temp dir all the necessary to run digiKam. Just pin the file from your
desktop to start it. That all. The rest, application work like a native one.

https://appimage.org/