Digikam is not updating the preview or thumbnail after editing in Darktable

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Sat Apr 22 17:02:57 BST 2023

On samedi 22 avril 2023 17:25:04 CEST Andy Nesciado wrote:
> Thanks for explaining that to me, although it is bad news.
> Is this something that happens only with Darktable? I thought the purpose
> of xmp sidecars was that the data would be readable across different
> programs.
> If I would edit the raw file say with Adobe lightroom would Digikam be able
> to read the those and update the preview accordingly?

The data from darktable *is* readable in digikam (I can exchange keywords,
captions and descriptions without problems).

But the program reading the data has to be able to "understand" that data and
act on it. Editing instructions are very specific to each program, so you
won't have more luck with other editing programs: different programs use
different algorithms, and with different parameters. And some of the
algorithms from commercial programs are kept secret...