[digiKam-users] Tags written by Gimp not read by digiKam

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Tue Apr 12 15:13:23 BST 2022

On mardi 12 avril 2022 14:30:12 CEST Milind Joshi wrote:
> Can digiKam read tags written by Gimp? I have catalogs in digiKam which
> contain RAW (PEF, ARW, DNG) images  These files are tagged using digiKam
> tags. I copy selected files to a different folder for editing in Gimp.
> After editing these image in Gimp, I add some tags to the images in
> Gimp. After adding the tags, I export these files as a tiff files.
> However, when I add the files to the digiKam catalog, these tags are
> missing. However, these tags can be seen in Exifview. I also tried the
> option to "read tags from file option" in digiKam. Still these tags are
> ignored. Is there an option that I need to turn on?
>
> mj

Which metadata tags are added by Gimp? Not the keywords/tags as you write
them, but the metadata tag names as shown by Exifview (e.g. with EXIV2 ,I see
Xmp.lr.hierarchicalSubject storing my keywords, but so do
Xmp.MicrosoftPhoto.LastKeywordXMP and Xmp.mediapro.CatalogSets;
there are four tags that contain the description I added...)

There are a lot of semi-standard tag names and name spaces used to store
keywords, and by default Digikam only reads some of them.

Remco