[digiKam-users] Benefits or drawbacks from JPG to HEIF conversion

Erick Moreno erickmoreno at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 19:08:38 GMT 2020

I already tested some scenarios to JPG to HEIF conversion.

When I try lossless.  HEIC, the converted files are BIGGER than jpg files.
Normally by 30% bigger. The same occurs quen I try lossy conversion with
max quality.

The size advantage starts with quality around 6 (I don't know what that
magic number means) but I *suspect* that at this point I'm losing some
quality.

So, if anywone who knows better how the conversion works and the kind of
drawbacks or benefits are involved, would be welcome to contribute.

Thanks guys

--
*Erick Moreno*
Science is like magic, but real