[digiKam-users] Qtweb* dependency

Philippe Baril Lecavalier pbl.ltx at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 00:19:52 GMT 2019

Pardon me if the issue was raised or discussed before, I could not find any
trace of it.

Why is qtwebengine/qtwebkit a dependency for digikam? My main use of
digikam is to fetch images from my phone or camera. I don't see the need
for an entire (and not a light one!) web engine here. Gwenview doesn't call
for one to display images or their metadata.

The issue for me? Not interested to build the whole creepy-chrome from
scratch every time an update is pushed (Gentoo here, maybe 2 hours for
qtwebkit, more for qtwebengine). If I used some KDE web browser, it would
make sense. But it's not the case, and so I got to build a thing that takes
longer than gcc itself solely for digikam (and presumably taking more space
than digikam too).

Suggestion: A flag to build digikam minus whatever feature calls for a web
browser engine? If the whole application is based on it, I can understand
that.

I am not a C++/qt developer, so I'm sorry if I can't push an actual
proposal any further. If I can help with testing, it's the least I can do.

Philippe Baril Lecavalier