[Digikam-users] Temporarily override the 'write to file' metadata setting

Simon Cropper simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
Mon Feb 3 23:28:58 GMT 2014

Marie-Noëlle,

As an alternative, assuming you work in the linux environment, why not
try ImageMagick[1]. This is how I bulk process all my photos. To resize
the images is relatively easy.

convert $IMAGE -resize 600x600\> $SMALLER_IMAGE

you can bulk convert many images by creating a script file that
processes the files in a directory one by one.

[1] http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/

On 04/02/14 06:59, Marie-Noëlle Augendre wrote:
> I made some progress:
>   - I used the tool "remove metadata" and, provided I killed beforehand
> all the remaining orphan processes, Digikam was able to run my queues
> without freezing anymore.
>   - and regarding the question of the temporary files we talked about
> the other day, I can confirm that they are written in the destination
> folder (on my internal harddisk, not on the USB one) where I found those
> that have not been deleted by Digikam when I had to kill it.
>
> So I now have a solution for the whole batches of pictures that are to
> be printed: using the remove metadata tool when using the batch tool
> manager.
> The problem remains for pictures I want to publish on the web, as for
> them I need to keep the metadata... till a real solution arises, I guess
> I'll have to treat them by little batches, so that Digikam will not get
> stucked in the middle of the way. And remember to "clean up" any orphan
> process before relaunching Digikam.
>
> Marie-Noëlle
>

> 2014-02-03 Marie-Noëlle Augendre <mnaugendre at gmail.com
> <mailto:mnaugendre at gmail.com>>:
>
>     How can I provide more information? Digikam doesn't crash, but it is
>     stucked with 66 pictures in the batch tool manager, though I have
>     change the setting to "Write to XMP sidecar only". When I click on
>     the arrow next to the progress bar, I get many "Copying attributes"
>     lines with 0% progression, and nothing seems to move any longer.
>     I clicked on every cancel button in order to speed up the process,
>     but it only says "Aborting" without giving up.
>     I'll have to kill-relaunch Digikam one more time ... :-(
>
>     I'm now in the process of to resizing to different sizes +
>     converting to JPEG about 500 pictures in order to create a book, and
>     this will take me some time, as Digikam freezes on each queue and I
>     have to kill it every time.
>
>     Marie-Noëlle
>

>     2014-01-31 Marie-Noëlle Augendre <mnaugendre at gmail.com
>     <mailto:mnaugendre at gmail.com>>:
>
>         No, it usually doesn't crash, but get stucked and never ends so
>         that I have to kill it.
>
>         That last, I didn't have to, but it took quite a long time to
>         finish.
>         What about all thesecheckRetrySQLiteLockError: Detected locked
>         messages?
>
>         Marie-Noëlle
>

> --
> <http://marie-noelle-augendre.com/photos/>
> Site personnel <http://marie-noelle-augendre.com/>
> Photographe en Cévennes <http://www.facebook.com/PhotographeEnCevennes>

Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides