[Digikam-users] after using gimp dk can´t open image.

Jean-François Rabasse jean-francois.rabasse at wanadoo.fr
Mon Oct 31 10:52:58 GMT 2011

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011, sleepless wrote:

> Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 09:38:26 +0100
> From: sleepless <sleeplessregulus at hetnet.nl>
> Subject: Re: [Digikam-users] after using gimp dk can´t open image.

> Your observation and explanation is as always detailed, precise and right.
> As a work around I save my Gimp image as PNG, just good to know that it is
> not a private problem.

Yes but, you loose all your photographic metadata, don't you ?

An alternative could be to :
  - keep your original file, let's say ORG.jpg
  - edit with Gimp and save your work in a new file, NEW.jpg
  - restore all your original Exif data with a command line tool, e.g.

    exiftool -all= -tagsFromFile ORG.jpg -exif:all NEW.jpg

and you're done, and DK should accept your NEW.jpg file because it has
a full valid Exif section.

(Probably the same could be done with command line evix2 but I don't know
the invocation syntax, exiv2 users could help.)

Of course, the problem isn't your private problem, it's the everyday
nightmare of all people that handle non strictly photographic images,
as scanned artwork files or other...
"Sell all pencils and paper on eBay and buy a digital camera, or die !" :-)

The problem comes from the way metadata standards are defined. Data formats
are described in a very accurate way, data semantics are ... hum ... a bit
less accurate, or a bit more impressionist, and data organisation is always
a desert.
So, images application software do what they wish or believe is right,
and each softare believes in its own way.
When you start to mix, you loose or destroy things !

Jean-François