[Digikam-users] Digikam and the KDE

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Sun Oct 9 18:28:15 BST 2011

On Søndag den 9. oktober 2011, Gilles Caulier wrote:
> A lots of people clam that digiKAm is too relevant of KDE and you want
> to ncrease again the depency ?

Absolutely not, I simply tried do explain the idea of nepomuk.

> We have worked hvery hard to make a database interface delegate to
> image anagement. I won't to ask to others developers that we trash all
> this work to replace it by Nepomuk stuff.
>
> I don't have any idea about Nepomuk stability... I know the status of
> digiKam DB interface, and it's not perfect.

So far, digikam is faster and more stable for filtering, taggning and more. In
fact I miss the functionality of digikam when using the current nepomuk
tagging/commenting/rating interface as found in dolphin or gwenview.

> Marcel as written an interface between digiKam DB and Nepomuk. It's
> enough. If somebody want to improve it, why not, but we will never
> replace digiKam DB by Nepomuk.

Noone asks you to. I think possibly offering the value added to an image
collection by using digikam through nepomuk - as the interface does - might be
added value for kde users. I for example would not find the ability to find an
image based on digikam tags or rating from another application a bad thing at
all.

I do think in fact making features optional is good, since we do not all use
the same bits and pieces of digikam, which have many different offerings.
Maybe making some things optional can also benefit users by allowing a less
crowded ui.

--
Anders