[Digikam-users] tags, rating and comments in TIFF files

Piotr Tarnowski piotr_tarnowski at wp.pl
Mon Oct 22 08:22:00 BST 2007

Hi all,

I found no support for storing digiKam tags, rating and comments in TIFF
files.
Am I right?

If it is so I'm going to implement this storage using tag 270 (comment).
Content of this tag is presented by digiKam, so it is easy to use it for
image to database replication. One can easily change content of this tag
with command line tool:

tiffset -s 270 "Comment" a.tif

or:

tiffset -sf 270 file-name-with-comment.txt a.tif

I'm going to use following syntax:
comment must start with "digiKam:\n"
then goes rating like this: "rating:5\n"
then every tag takes one line "tag:path/to/tag\n"
finally goes digiKam comment "comment:first line\nnext line..."

I do not know how to implement writing to TIFF - I will try to hack
'tiffset' sources to learn and if I will fail I will call this command
from digiKam.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome, from which the best would be -
do not do this it is already in digiKam but you haven't found this :)

/Piotr

PS. Sample comment contents:
DigiKam:
Rating:3
Tag:Who/John
Tag:Who/Marry
Tag:Where/Spain
Tag:How/Tripod
Comment:
My favorite
photo from vacations.

ZŁOTE KACZKI MAGAZYNU FILM - GALA 50-lecia. Na Wasze głosy
czekamy do 28/10. Transmisja finałowej Gali 31 października
o godz. 19.00 w TVP 2. Zobacz koniecznie!
http://klik.wp.pl/?adr=http%3A%2F%2Fcorto.www.wp.pl%2Fas%2Fzlotekaczki.html&sid=64