[Digikam-users] Digikam slow

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 21:50:45 GMT 2007

2007/12/8, Andreas Weigl <Andreas.Weigl at silicoids-world.de>:

> Hi
>
> Am Saturday 08 December 2007 schrieb Dotan Cohen:
> > > If find prints some files then new files have been written or changed.
> If
> > > their are no new files than the caching in general works.
> > > I did this on my system. No new files here.
> >
> > No new files.
>
> This means the caching basically works. Good.
>
> > I ran Recreate Thumbnails, then touch testfile, then browse a few
> > directories. Sure enough, there are some new files in ~/.thumbnails.
> > So I've either hit a limit or there is a caching problem. How can I
> > test that?
>
> I think this can only be answered by the developers because I do not know
> the
> caching algorithm.
>
> Does anybody know a description of the algorithm besides the source code?

This is the code of thumbs cache implementation:

http://websvn.kde.org/branches/extragear/kde3/graphics/digikam/digikam/pixmapmanager.h?revision=670778&view=markup
http://websvn.kde.org/branches/extragear/kde3/graphics/digikam/digikam/pixmapmanager.cpp?revision=670778&view=markup

PixmapManager class use internally QCache from Qt to store thumb in memory.
All is explained in Qt API doc

http://doc.trolltech.com/3.3/qcache.html

Note than QCache instance is used with this constructor :

QCache<QPixmap>(101, 211);

Gilles Caulier