[Digikam-users] 2 digikam installs at the same time?

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Thu Apr 6 11:38:36 BST 2006

On Thursday 06 April 2006 12:22 pm, Daniel Bauer wrote:
> Hello :-)
>
> I wonder if it is possible to have installed two versions of digikam at the
> same time? I guess not, but if there is an easy way, can anybody tell me
> how to?
>
> (I'd just like to see the latest versions but I cannot risk to overwrite my
> existing 0.8.1 because this is in "heavy use" almost every day...)
>
> Daniel

There many important points to take a care to use 2 both differents version at
the same time :

1 - The user settings : it recorded at your ~/.kde/share/config/digikam.rc and
~/.kde/share/config/showfoto.rc.
0.8.x and 0.9.0 have some different settings, especially with menu and option.
To prevent conflic, just use 2 different accounts in you system, for example,
i use :

/home/gilles --> 0.8.x
/home/test --> 0.9.0

2 - The database : Do use yet 0.9.0 in production : use a different album
library paths. I use :

/home/gilles/photos --> 0.8.x
/home/test/images --> 0.9.0

3 - the shared lib/target binary/plugin. This is the most complex problem to
solve. You cannot mix at the same place libdigikam.la, digikam and the image
editor plugins. I haven't experimented a solution but i recommend to install
in :

/usr/ --> 0.8.x
/usr/local --> 0.9.0

... using --prefix=path option from .configure script. Later, normally, you
just need to set properlly the right ENVIRONNEMENT variables in your home
directory.

Please fix me if i'm wrong.

In my host computer, i install at the same place (/usr) the good target to use
(stable or trunk) because my computer is very fast (jsut 10s to install
digikam after compilation)

All others contructive comments welcome. I'm sure that this point can be used
by other users. Perhaps, we can update the README file in svn if we can found
a complete solution

GIlles