[Digikam-users] 2 digikam installs at the same time?

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Thu Apr 6 11:34:50 BST 2006

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Daniel Bauer wrote:

> Hello :-)
>
> I wonder if it is possible to have installed two versions of digikam at the
> same time? I guess not, but if there is an easy way, can anybody tell me how
> to?
>
> (I'd just like to see the latest versions but I cannot risk to overwrite my
> existing 0.8.1 because this is in "heavy use" almost every day...)

That's no problem. I do the following:

# get a recent exiv2 (if it is not yet installed on your system
wget http://www.exiv2.org/exiv2-0.9.1.tar.gz

tar xzf exiv2-0.9.1.tar.gz
cd exiv2-0.9.1
./configure --prefix=$HOME/digikam_test
make
make install
cd ..

and then use the attached install script to get the current version from
trunk:

cd /tmp/
mkdir digikam
cd digikam
sh ~/.install_digikam.sh | tee install_log.txt

To use:
-------

export DIGIKAM=$HOME/digikam_test
export KDEDIRS=$DIGIKAM:/usr

export PATH=$DIGIKAM/bin:$PATH
rehash
digikam

And that's all ;-). Of course, if there are problems while running
install_digikam.sh this might take some time to find out.
For the first installation you could also try to copy and paste the
contents of the script line-by-line to see if every step succeeds.

Hope this helps,

Arnd