[Decibel] Open Wengo

Stefan Eilers stefan.eilers at basyskom.de
Mon Jun 19 10:04:56 CEST 2006

Hi Mark!

Thanks for your Information! It is quite interesting for us.

Am 12.06.2006 um 20:19 schrieb Mark Baker:

> Hi,
>
> I've noticed that there has been discussion about
> providing SIP telephony in Kopete and other KDE
> applications. I would like to let you know about Open
> Wengo, a cross-platform Voice over IP (VoIP) library
> and GUI client. Open Wengo has several advantages:

We committed ourselves to use the tapioca framework  (http://tapioca-
voip.sourceforge.net/) to integrate VoIP and more. Decibel will be on
top of it. Tapioca has several advantages which are key features for us:

We want to integrate more than just VoIP. We want to have all kind of
real-time communication accessible via the framework. Tapioca
provides this feature.

DBUS-Based infrastucture: The protocol specific stuff is located in
connections managers  which are connected to the DBUS. This provides
interoperability and does not crash the whole application if any
connection manager crashes.
Another important aspect is that a new connection-manager is
extending all applications using Decibel automatically. Due to the
fact that Tapioca is used by the gnome developers,  we create a
synergy effect which will be a benefit for all.
Maybe it is an idea to intergrate the Open Wengo library as a
connection manager? I'm sure we all would benefit from a realiable
and stable VoIP backend.

What do you think?

Mfg., Stefan Eilers
--
Dr.-Ing. Stefan Eilers
Projekt Manager

basysKom GmbH
Robert-Bosch-Str. 7 | 64293 Darmstadt | Germany
Tel: +49 6151 3969-962 | Fax: -736 | Mobile: +49 170 4213459 |
Jabber: eilers at jabber.org
stefan.eilers at basyskom.de | www.basyskom.de