[Appeal] Translucency effect

Hans Oischinger hans.oischinger at h3c.de
Tue Apr 12 08:19:15 CEST 2005

Hi everyone,

I already talked to some of you in Berlin about a little translucency effect
that I wanted to implement. But before checking it into kdecvs (and being
flamed for that by many people, I suppose) I'd rather like to discuss it
here.

There are two videos online that show the effect (captured with xvidcap):
http://home.degnet.de/hans.oischinger/exposite1.avi
http://home.degnet.de/hans.oischinger/exposite2.avi

It may still need some improvements like longer delays between hovering over
the taskbar and showing the effect, but I think you'll get the point.

I would be happy if you could give me some feedback about it. Although the
people I showed it to until now were all quite impressed, I'm not sure if
it's something that a user wants to see longer than some days (it will be an
option anyway).
But on the other hand, after a while, I switched off the new kicker tooltips
(which I liked a lot at first), too. Sorry Aaron :)

I would also like to know if it's something positive or negative from a
usability pov. On the one hand it gives you visual access to hidden windows
but on the other hand it may also be a little distracting.

Greets, Hans