Amarok 2.0 released Can I install over top of amarok 1.4?

Robert Smits bob at rsmits.ca
Tue Dec 16 02:41:32 UTC 2008

On December 12, 2008 11:05:19 am Robert Smits wrote:
> On December 11, 2008 12:09:20 pm Robert Smits wrote:
>
> Thanks to those of you who replied to my earlier message, telling me I
> could install Amarok 2 in a KDE 3 environment.
>
> Next question is can I just install it over top my existing KDE3 Amarok 1.4
> or do I need to treat it as a completely new install, set up mysql, etc.
>
> Bob.

Well, I went ahead and installed in my my opensuse 11.0 system, which had both
KDE3 and KDE4 desktops, although I use KDE3.5 more than 4 for now.

I play much of my material over my nfs network and Amarok 2.0 handles this
MUCH better than Amarok 1.4. No hangups and lockups.

I wasn't too crazy about the three pane setup, but as I learned new ways to do
old things, it grew on me.

I think for now, I'll stick to 1.4, but you've definitely made some
improvements and I'll be back.

One thing that I did discover afterward  was that my Amarok 1.4 setup was now
hosed. I don't know if it was caused by installed 2.0 on the same KDE3
desktop or because I had also added KDE4 a week previously. And when I say
hosed, my mysql collection settings were gone, I was using yuapp instead of
xine, etc.

bob at rsmits.ca