Amarok 2.0 released Can I install over top of amarok 1.4?

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Mon Dec 15 02:04:02 UTC 2008

Beso wrote:
> 2008/12/14 Jeff Mitchell <kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com>:
>> No, that's not true.  Distributions that carry Amarok 2 are generally
>> compiling mysql with -fPIC now.
>>
> so distro that don't carry it don't do it. this applies for any distribution out
> there with amarok version previous than alpha 1. (there are a lot of them).

Wrong, again.  Disros that don't carry it don't necessarily compile
without -fPIC.  They may, or may not.  You can't just assume that they
don't.

>> Even if your distribution doesn't do that, it is possible to install
>> KDE4 entirely into a separate user account with its own environment, and
>> then simply run applications from there (you can even be logged into
>> KDE3 when doing so).
>>
> most distros do the split: kde4 or kde3.5 at install time. then the advanced
> user has to manually install and update the other version.

Which has nothing to do, at all, with where your user files are
located... ~/.kde, ~/.kde4, ~/.kde3.5, etc.

>> There is no Amarok 1.5.
>>
> misnumbered. i don't use the old 1.x serie since the new one has gone
> alpha 1 so i didn't remembered the precise 1.x version.

But statements like that can cause confusion to other people.

I think this email is just proving my point.  If you don't remember
things, don't say them, and don't make statements based on assumptions.

Please, just let the developers give the technical advice.

Thanks,
Jeff