Amarok documentation - Album covers

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Sun Jun 27 13:39:18 CEST 2010

Hallo Amarockers,

Do you think it is feasible to start writing a section of help text on
the topic of album covers in V2.x?

As I see it this would NOT be part of the Quick Start Guide that we are
involved with at the moment. It would possibly be part of a different
manual.

My interst is sparked by considerable problems that I have in
maintaining my cover artwork on the iPod. Every time I interact with
iTunes my covers are destroyed. Since I think that covers is a real
enhancement, it would be useful to put together some help documentation
on that topic. There is a lot of information that the average user does
not have.

Is there anyone with a technical knowledge who is prepared to make a
start? Some of the important points are:

1) What is the technical mechanism used for obtaining covers? I gather
it is obtained from last.fm? Are there any ways, for a user, to change
the place where cover art is obtained, e.g. Amazon?

2) How are covers stored? I assume making use of MySQL in the collection
database? Are covers stored together and separate from the music or does
each album have a cover in the same folder? How are covers associated
with albums/tracks?

This type of knowledge would be useful for understanding how to work
with covers and how to synchronise covers with external palayers e.g; iPods.

I can do a fair bit in generating text about what buttons to click in
order to manage cover artwork, but a paragraph on Amarok's approach to
the handling of covers would be very extremely useful. If someone is
prepared to  make a start I will do my bit to help combine all of this
into a single coherent document.

What do you think?

Kind regards, Willem Ferguson