embedded MySql alternatives

Bennett Piater bennett at piater.name
Thu Jan 9 12:15:41 GMT 2020

On Thursday, January 9, 2020 1:03:36 PM CET Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> If as Soren says SQLite has improved and is really scaling to large
> collections (we talk in several thousands of tracks, DJ sampling can get
> very large indeed), I have nothing against it, but we need to keep the
> server option for those who want it.
>
> We would also have to provide a migration tool from MySQL embedded to
> whatever we chose for the future, one that is non-developer proof. This has
> not always been smooth in the past...

I second SQLite. It's one of the most underrated/misunderstood pieces of
software that I have encountered.

It scales very well with database size in my experience, the only real
limitation is scalability with _client processes_.
And even then, we are talking large numbers, like web servers with over 100K
requests/day - and only when considering concurrent _writes_.

For the default use-case of Amarok (on a single machine), I think SQLite would
be the optimal choice.

See also:
https://www.sqlite.org/whentouse.html
https://www.sqlite.org/about.html