embedded MySql alternatives

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Thu Jan 9 12:03:36 GMT 2020

Hi Pedro,

On Thu, 9 Jan 2020 at 12:56, Pedro de Carvalho Gomes <pedrogomes81 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Myriam,
>
> What about deprecating Mysql embedded, and supporting MariaDB instead? It
> seems the natural path since it still has libmysqld.
>
> The problem lies in the "still" has, how can we be sure this will persist
in the future? Also I am not sure all distros have replaced MySQL with
MariaDB.

If as Soren says SQLite has improved and is really scaling to large
collections (we talk in several thousands of tracks, DJ sampling can get
very large indeed), I have nothing against it, but we need to keep the
server option for those who want it.

We would also have to provide a migration tool from MySQL embedded to
whatever we chose for the future, one that is non-developer proof. This has
not always been smooth in the past...

Regards, Myriam

Protect your freedom and support the work of the FSFE:
http://www.fsfe.org
<http://www.fsfe.org/>