Amarok patch for local encoded ID3 tags

Peter Zhou peterzhoulei at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 00:07:36 CEST 2008

I don't think the patch would work for most cases since many people have
tracks with non-UTF-8 encoding and yet UTF-8 locale for their system.

I wonder if we should check the encoding by looking up the encoding table
provide by QT(http://doc.trolltech.com/4.3/qtextcodec.html). If you think
this is yet too complicated, how about just let the users to set their
default encoding if it is not UTF-8.

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 10:57 PM, Scott Wheeler <wheeler at kde.org> wrote:

> Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> > Totally reasonable, but I believe, if my assumption is correct, that
> this may
> > be a better fix to put into taglib.  My assumption is that the strings
> we get
> > from taglib are supposed to be UTF-8...if that's the case, taglib should
> be
> > doing this conversion...if that's not the case, we should consider doing
> it
> > ourselves with your patch. [...]
>
> This is the classical case of MP3s containing incorrect info.  The
> reason that a patch like this can't go directly into TagLib is that
> TagLib doesn't link against Qt and as such doesn't have the huge tables
> of encodings that Qt does.
>
> -Scott

Peter