[WikiToLearn] A draft proposal for a WikiToLearn Board and other structures

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Wed May 18 02:11:59 UTC 2016

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 11:57 AM, Riccardo Iaconelli <riccardo at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi Valorie!
>
> On giovedì 12 maggio 2016 02:06:46 CEST Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
>> What I like about the division is the same reason I like the fact that
>> the e.V. and KDE development are similarly walled from one another -
>> community and technical development are both important, but different.
>> And the experts in each are the ones keeping their own craft alive and
>> well. If you want to be involved in both, great, but you have to meet
>> different criteria. And yet both support one another completely.
>>
>> Of course this is different than how W2L functions, but I think you
>> can use our experience as one successful example of governance.
>
> This is exactly the kind of thing I tried to get in the draft, inspiring
> myself from the same sources!
> Have you had a look at it? Do you think it can work?
>
> Bye,
> -Riccardo

Hi, sorry for the late reply. My dad died last Thursday and my life
has been a bit upended.

Yes, I think it can work, although you might think of staggering the
terms for now: electing some to one and some to two-year terms (or
even three), so that everyone doesn't come up at once. A bit of
experience on the board is valuable, so sweeping everyone away is not
so good.

Also someone should be in charge of running elections, which means
putting out a call for nominations, closing nominations, and actually
running the election and announcing the results. In Kubuntu someone
just steps up and volunteers, and that has always worked well so far.

Also, what happens when someone resigns? Write that into your
document. In Kubuntu, the board itself decides if they want another
member "early", or will just wait until the regularly scheduled
election.

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez