[WikiToLearn] [WikiToLearn Editors] Draft for the oraganization of the community

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Fri Mar 25 14:07:55 UTC 2016

On Friday, March 25, 2016 01:41:28 PM Cristian Baldi wrote:
> I think it would be a nice idea to encourage the user to write about
> himself and introduce himself to the community on his personal page, in
> this way we allow him to try the editor, get himself familiar with the wiki
> environment and at the same time build some kind of personal connection.
>
> We could also tell new user to start writing content on his personal page
> but I don't like it very much. The cool thing about wikis is that whatever
> you write is available to everyone the moment you press "Save", and it is
> not hidden in your user page and you will need to manually move it later
> (that's a boring thing to do) .
>
>  At the same time I also think that we can't openly publish broken/testing
> stuff, but that's what the "Work in progress" template on WIkipedia is for.
>
> I also think that, the more content we get, most of the users will register
> to edit already existing pages, not to create new pages from scratch.
>
> Maybe I didn't completely understand what you meant,

I will try to be a little more clear: what we want to build is something more
similar to github, which gives you the opportunity to create repos within a
"personal" namespace, thus encouraging experimentation. The idea is that we
can offer WikiToLearn as a convenient cloud-based tool for the user to write
personal notes, and let those notes mature with the help of the community,
until they are ready to move to more official location.

The user is absolutely still encouraged to write on the official pages, this
is an additional feature: the problem we're trying to solve is the syndrome we
have sometimes seen where people say "this is only a draft, I don't want other
people to see/rely on it until it's perfect". Also, this way you keep people
closer to the platform in the editing journey.

Bye,
-Riccardo