[WikiToLearn] About me and GSoC ideas

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 03:45:52 UTC 2016

Just one question here:

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 3:27 AM, Gianluca Rigoletti
<gianluca.rigoletti at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Sagar, I would like to reply to you about my areas.
>
>> WikiToLearn - Editor
>>
>> I have read Gianluca's recent F.A.Q article [F].
>>
>> I checked the Wikimedia's Visual Editor. I liked some of it's animations. I
>> felt we could design an algorithm which would suggest auto completion for
>> the words which have been repeated most in the article. I still need to
>> brainstorm more on this section.
>
> I  really like the idea of autosuggestion feature. However, I will
> keep a less "intellisense" feature, and instead implement some dtatic
> word autocompletions based on latex syntax words.
>

>> WikiToLearn - Neverland
>>
>> I looked into the source code of UI. I can make out that our frontend is
>> build with bootstrap framework, jQuery and ajax. Just wanted to know whether
>> we are continuing with the same stack or would change it in future ?
>> Do you think usage of scss, angularjs/angularjs2 would improvise our UI/UX ?
>> If yes, I would like to work on this too. :)
>
> Ok, we are planning some new features. We want to extend its
> functionality but also start a brand new skin with a new design. We
> are discussing about the User experience and some really cool features
> that users should have. It implies hard work both on the frontend and
> on the backend mediawiki development.
>
>> The UI design of the visual editor looks too flat. I think we need to revamp
>> our complete UI to flat design which would blend with the editor. :)
>> If you we are planning to adopt the same flat design as of visual editor, I
>> could share some of the mockups for our website skin.
>
> I will switch to a more flat design, but this is my opinion. Also, I
> will focus on a more essential design. If you want to share some of
> your ideas you're always welcome!
>
>> Check this to know about my HTML5, CSS3 skills [C]. :P
>>
>> Please feel to suggest how the above ideas can be improvised further more.
>> I'll be happy to read all your reviews. :)
>
> I will be quite busy these days but I will take a look as soon as possible :)
>

>> [P] https://github.com/WikiToLearn/WikiToLearn/pull/1
>> [T] https://github.com/WikiToLearn/Tech-Updates-To-Telegram
>> [A] https://core.telegram.org/bots/api
>> [Z] http://zeromq.org/
>> [W] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:The_Wikipedia_Adventure
>> [F] http://meta.wikitolearn.org/Web_development/F.A.Q.s
>> [C] http://sagarhani.xyz/keyboard.html
>>

>> Thank you.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Sagar Hani.
>> http://sagarhani.xyz
>>
>> Telegram : @sagarhani
>
> --
> Gianluca

The github stuff just may be old -- is not all wikitolearn code moved
to KDE infra? It is fine to mirror on github, but development should
always take place on KDE resources. One of the principal aims of the
KDE participation in GSoC is to educate students not just in coding,
but in participation in Free and Open Source Software in every way
possible. Github, while it does use git, is a unFree proprietary
service, and uses labels like "forking" and "pulling" that are
disruptive to our policies and procedures.

Students should get both Identity and bugs.kde.org logins as soon as
possible, and be escalated to developer status as soon as their
proposals are accepted. In addition, they should probably subscribe to
KDE-devel mail list too.

This is not a worry; just a caution.

All the best,

Valorie