[WikiFM] WikiFm for Open Source content & knowledge Integration

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Tue Sep 1 22:27:40 UTC 2015

Hi,

(still catching up on e-mails...)

On Thursday, August 20, 2015 05:05:10 PM Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
> I think it might make more sense to have Open Source (or Free and Open
> Source) as a major heading, since far more than just computer science
> students can and do contribute. I think Jigar makes and important
> point - contributions to FOSS are often not valued in the educational
> community, but they *can* be. What makes the difference is both
> students and professors raising the issues, and supporting FOSS
> projects. And both can create great pages or even sections promoting
> FOSS to prospective students. Not just GSoC, but developing FOSS
> projects as both a hobby, a contribution to the improvement of the
> world, and a way to improve professional contacts and reputation.

I would agree that open source software is for many fields of study, but it is
exactly for this that it should be merged directly within the other sections.
Actually, I think it should be possibly highlighted, and not treated as a
second class citizen and relegated to its own section.

Anyways, let's write directly at least some skeleton and see how it turns out,
before taking a real decision ;-)
Jigar, can you start to show us your ideas? Let me know if you need some
artwork for the section!!

-Riccardo