[WikiToLearn] Development schedule [CORRECT]

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Wed Nov 11 10:38:28 UTC 2015

On Wednesday, November 11, 2015 11:28:23 AM Alessandro Tundo wrote:
> In my opinion we should be more realistic about CI development. It's very
> difficult release every week in a open-source project lead by students. We
> have to do lots of important thing (like study LOL), so I don't know if we
> are able to do this.

Hi Ale,

I assume here you're referring to the release cycle when you talk about CI.

The idea of a release cycle is just to set a "breath rate" of the project, not
to enforce a timeframe over members in which features need to be ready...
features which will be ready will be deployed, others will be held back, as it
works in any open source project :-) but giving us a schedule makes us know
when things are pushed to users, when to expect breaks, when to stabilize and
how to decide deadlines.

KDE SC for example has a 6 month release cycle (for major releases) and 3
weeks/1 month for bugfix releases. This helps everybody in the process of
defining priorities, deadlines, and so on...
It also helps to know that it's OK to break things a little at the beginning
of a cycle but not two days before the new release.

For CI, it's a challenging task, and needs to be discussed, but this just
automates development steps.

Bye,
-Riccardo