[WikiFM] HUGE WikiFM liftup

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Mon Jun 15 18:39:46 UTC 2015

Hi all,

after a few months of heavy work and debugging, and thanks to the
invaluable contribution from Luca, I am proud to announce that
finally, the new WikiFM is live!!!

Featuring:
 - Updated Mediawiki base version to 1.25.1, almost a 2 years leap,
with all the integration of theme and UI features performed.
 - Multisite/multilanguage: WikiFM is now a fully international(ized)
website with common files at pool.wikifm.org and handy en/it (and
soon: fr/de/es) subdomains. The non-italian sites are still kind of
empty, but will be filled soon - if you want to help, it's needed.
 - PDF generation working through LaTeX, finally with flawless math
and with support for all our web features (mostly: custom macros and
math environments). One small regression on preformatted text (which
is not really preformatted), but it's much better than now.
 - A stronger mathematics support: the introduction of the tag <dmath>
for displaystyle mathematics
 - A faster, better, and especially - sponsored - server, thanks to neoDigit.
 - The code of WikiFM and scripts to automate the install are now on
git, lowering by a great amount the contributing barreer (and making
much more easy development, too)
 - Some amount of dockerization, as we now operate in a docker
container with automated scripts for installation/deployment

I pushed now the DNS changes to Cloudflare and made the current
version read-only. TTL is 1 day, so expect the new service to be live
around then. For the impatient, you can already add to your hosts file
31.47.76.87.

Of course, with such a big change, I expect some things to break a
little, I have checked what I could but I might have missed something.
Another big task would be to convert the current mathematics enclosed
in a double dollar sign to the <dmath> tag (if any volunteer feel like
scripting it I would be glad).

The next big step will be finishing to dockerify WikiFM. Most of the
set-up procedure has already been automated, but if you have already
used docker, please step up. This will allow us to get a perfectly
identical setup on the development machines and the production server,
and reduce deployment and updates to a simple git pull+docker up. :)

>From now on, however, the code development is officially open to the
public in a clean way. :-) Make sure to send to the list any comments
about all these news!

That will be all, so make sure to celebrate this big day for WikiFM! :-)))

Bye,
-Riccardo
Hasiti Lapé Hetep Malu Mир Wolakota Santiphap Irini Peoch שלום