[WikiToLearn Tech] Read-mode: render definitions

Alessandro Tundo aletundo at wikitolearn.org
Sat May 14 13:45:11 UTC 2016

Hi folks,

I would talk about the most appropriate strategy to rendering some
data into popups.

Who were @CERNSprint (or who sifting the repositories' commits) knows
I'm developing an extension to annotate and get definitions of
important words into a text.

The question is: at this time, i'm storing data within the wikitext
(after that the editor has confirmed the annotations). I thought to
improve this using a template that I will fill within VisualEditor. In
this way I'll could rendering popups using a template so easy during
page rendering and I hope without using OO js (Mediawiki version).

Another solution could be to not write data into the wikitext, but
just using a new tag and a database from which get them.
I'll have to make a database in any case, cause I'll have to collect
other information and data for further applications (this is another
story...)

I prefer the first one, obviously. Do db queries decreases
performance. On the other side, the wikitext will be more "dirty", but
I suppose isn't a big issue cause we're switching to VisualEditor
asap.

What about you? Any ideas?

Bye,

Alessandro