[WikiToLearn Tech] Plans for the next release and related projects

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Thu Mar 17 16:08:41 UTC 2016

Hey Cristian!

Thanks a lot for starting this thread. Definitely needed.

On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 03:57:13 PM Cristian Baldi wrote:
> [...]
> I decided to wrote this to discuss a bit about the next release and to
> gather some informations about the ongoing projects.
> [..]

This tells me we really ought to be better at tracking what we're doing. I
remember people telling me about other things that they have done, but I see
no track of this on Phabricator.

We have to write small changelogs and track what we're doing, see for example:

https://phabricator.kde.org/maniphest/report/burn/?project=PHID-PROJ-kt2hkcwqnlbeaa7hrklr

I am also culprit in this, see the fact that I pushed today NoCaptcha without
any card saying so, and without tracking its development at the sprint (even
if we have been talking about this).

> I will try to sum up the status of the ongoing projects I know, and if we
> could use them for the next release.
>
> *WikiToLearn *(the website)
> We are working on 3 different feature branches:
>
>    - liquid2flow, I am in the process of migrating from LiquidThreads to
>    Flow (for the talk pages), things didn't go as planned, we have a few
>    problems with the migration. I contacted upstream and they gave me a few
>    possible fixes, I have yet to try them, there is hop. If we need this
> fast or if we can't fix it for real we might need to lose all the
> discussions (or at least the User discussions, which are problematic)

Let's have a dump of the discussion, to save the few important messages, and
let's get rid of this fast. Flow is starting to be important.

>    - remove_exts, Martina while at the sprint started the process of
>    cleaning up and updating extensions and also updating/fixing the
>    LocalSettings.php  as well as adding a few quick fixes for extensions
>    related development (error reporting for example). We have to do some
>    testing and then we can merge this without many problems, I think.

A few of these extensions could be needed. Getting rid of CategorySuggest is
probably the most important one.

>    - dev-wtl-home, the sysadmins created this branch to begin the process
>    of migrating from the old wtl setup to the new WikiToLearnHome one. More
> in the dedicated secton.

This one can be rolled in when ready, but I'll let who does the work say on
this...

> All these 3 are blocking for the next release (IMO).
>
> *WikiToLearnHome*
> [...]

Is this really necessary for the release?

> *texla*
> Texla is the latex parser developed at the sprint (and in the weeks before
> it) by Davide with the help of a few other people. [...]

This is a new feature, not ready. Will be released once it's there...

> *OCG/Collection*
> Alessandro, Irene and me updated the system to the newer version of nodejs
> (it was running one from 4 years ago). Work is still going on for the
> conversion of tables. Need more details to know if everything is working or
> what needs to be fixed or if we can release.  (We can release without the
> tables)
>
> We also worked on our fork of the collection extensions, improving the user
> experience, this is already merged in master.

We can release without the tables, and as long as there are no regressions.
Great work for the PHP side!

> *Neverland*
> Let's wait for Gianluca, I don't know enough in the detail about what was
> done at the sprint. (New features?, fixes?)

Gian?

> *VisualEditor*

Let's wait until it's stable...

> *PDFCheck*
> Currently powered off, I have a simple bug to fix, we don't care for the
> release.

This is indipendent from the release...

> *Infrastructure*
> We are planning the move to the new servers. Luca wants this for the next
> release.

This would be nice, but is indipendent from the release...

> *Content Referencing*
> I don't know enough. I am sure we don't have this ready and won't need in
> the release.

Russell, can you comment on this one?

> *Other Stuff*
> Cross Wiki Notification (who is working on that?) Not in this release? How
> much work is needed?

There is an ancient thread. I think it's up for grabs fom somebody who wants
to do some Mediawiki testing? The upgrade path should be fairly easy...

> Skin for the Blog (Andrea Zanini is working on that, we got some feedback
> from KDE's VDG). Non blocking.
> BotsForEditors (I am planning to work on that, soon).

Not blocking for the release.

All in all, great work guys! :-)

Bye,
-Riccardo