Reskin project

Davide Valsecchi valsecchi.davide94 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 12:27:49 UTC 2016

It's really an awesome idea! We need a general revision of the skin, both
on the tech side and on the graphic one, and this is the right moment to
think about that with the sprint coming.
I'll support you on finding and triaging tasks. +1

> Hey everyone,
> I am thinking that now the time has come:
> we should relly redesign the frontend infrastructure of wikitolearn.
>
> *Why*
> When I got to work on the css, WikiToLearn was using an old css frameworks
> and the mobile experience was quite awful. I managed to update at least the
> css framework, but some of dynamic generated html is done using deprecated
> methods or are not the best way to do that things.
> We are constantly encouraged by big companies to use the best web
> technologies, so a I think that e reskin project is what we need
>
> *How*
> When I say latest web technologies, I can mean anything. In particular,
> there are some aspects that Davide Riva has suggested a couple of months
> ago. They are really good tips.
> Mediawiki has a good system to manage the layout: it uses skin that are
> modules indepent from the internal infrastructure (or it seems so for as
> far as I have read). I will better study the documentation
>
> *What*
> The concept of reskin is indeed a big idea, because it does not involve a
> single area, but includes lots of skills, works and probably some
> experience. What I am thinking is to well define the things that need to be
> done, sorting them by priority, complexitiy, areas of interest and try to
> find the best support from whoever wants to contribute. This idea is also
> motivated by the fact we will have the kde sprint that can be a great
> opportunity to collaborate with the vdg group and to work everyone together.

As always, this is my idea, and I'm curious to know what you think.