Templates management

Gianluca Rigoletti gianluca.rigoletti at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 22:47:14 UTC 2016

Hey everyone,
I was thinking about this:
given that the solution Riccardo proposed is the solution we adopt, we
should make some spring/sprint cleaning of the template. In my opinion
a good approach is to check the template we already use the most, try
to redesign them with the maximum comprehensibility and flexibility to
extend them by child templates (if needed, of course). To do this the
best way, I will suggest to get at least a couple of active editors
that act like tester or suggestors (someone like Daniele, Sofia or
whoever wants) and try to get in touch with the css/template part. I
see that Irene is really good in template management, so if she wants
she can become a little template mantainer.
It is just an idea, I don't know whether there are problems with it,
so let me know.

> I like the *inheritance* strategy, because it seems a really neat solution
> for localization.
> +1

> <gianluca.rigoletti at gmail.com>:
>>
>> I really like this idea of inheritance. It probably can fit for what we
>> need. This way we can have a simple and clean structure on meta and don't
>> have to double the work like Cristian pointed.
>> +1 for what Riccardo wrote

>>> Hi Gian,

>>> thanks for bringing this up.
>>> Let me explain a little bit more how the proposal would work: because the
>>> strategy will differ a little. Having HTML/CSS templates on Meta, does not
>>> prevent new templates from being added on the domains.
>>>
>>> The idea, in your example, would work as follow:
>>>
>>> meta:
>>> - have a generic "infobox" template, with all the looks and features, but
>>> no user-visible strings
>>> it/en/...:
>>> - have a specialized "AddCourse" template, which inherits from the first
>>> one (i.e. uses it), and *only* adds the relevant strings, correctly
>>> translated.
>>>
>>> An example of this can be seen here:
>>> http://it.wikitolearn.org/Template:WarningBox
>>> and
>>> http://it.wikitolearn.org/Template:Bozza
>>>
>>> This means that you're still using templates and their convenience, but
>>> abstracting away all the technical details. When changes are needed, they
>>> only need to be performed once, and they get automatically propagated to all
>>> the language domains, without breaking translations (and so on...)
>>>
>>> Variables are also an option (see parserfunctions), but they are
>>> apparently quite heavy on the server.
>>>
>>> Bye,
>>> -Riccardo
>>> --
>>> Pace Peace Paix Paz Frieden Pax Pokój Friður Fred Béke 和平
>>> Hasiti Lapé Hetep Malu Mир Wolakota Santiphap Irini Peoch שלום
>>> Shanti Vrede Baris Rój Mír Taika Rongo Sulh Mir Py'guapy 평화
>>

>> --
>> Gianluca

Gianluca