Templates management

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Sun Feb 7 19:52:35 UTC 2016

Hi Gian,

On 7 February 2016 at 20:12, Gianluca Rigoletti <
gianluca.rigoletti at gmail.com> wrote:

> Proposed by ruphy, is to use templates just for html/css layouts. Speaking
> about the template AddCourse, we would have to write in every page of every
> department the message "Want to add a new course? ..."

thanks for bringing this up.
Let me explain a little bit more how the proposal would work: because the
strategy will differ a little. Having HTML/CSS templates on Meta, does not
prevent new templates from being added on the domains.

The idea, in your example, would work as follow:

meta:
- have a generic "infobox" template, with all the looks and features, but
no user-visible strings
it/en/...:
- have a specialized "AddCourse" template, which inherits from the first
one (i.e. uses it), and *only* adds the relevant strings, correctly
translated.

An example of this can be seen here:
http://it.wikitolearn.org/Template:WarningBox
and
http://it.wikitolearn.org/Template:Bozza

This means that you're still using templates and their convenience, but
abstracting away all the technical details. When changes are needed, they
only need to be performed once, and they get automatically propagated to
all the language domains, without breaking translations (and so on...)

Variables are also an option (see parserfunctions), but they are apparently
quite heavy on the server.

Bye,
-Riccardo
Hasiti Lapé Hetep Malu Mир Wolakota Santiphap Irini Peoch שלום