[WikiToLearn-Tech] Update the Discussion/Talk extension

Cristian Baldi bld.cris.96 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 14:04:06 UTC 2015

Hello everyone,

I want to discuss about upgrading the Discussion/Talk feature on
WikiToLearn. For those who don't know right now we use LiquidThread (
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:LiquidThreads), an old and no more
supported extension.

The current version of this extension (2) is no longer actively maintained.
> WMF provides no support to Wikimedia wikis using it and requests of install
> on new Wikimedia projects are no longer possible.
> Development of version 3.0 was cancelled, too. We do not recommend
> installing this on new third-party wikis either.

I suggest we move to Flow https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Flow . It is in
beta but it is looking very good and I don't think the 'Beta' tag is a
problem for us.

Just to make a meaningful example: the system we currently use does not
even have a complete and documented API (leaving reverse engeneering as the
only option, and this is blocking features for the PDFCheck project) while
Flow even offers a pywkibot wrapper!!

I think we should do this task for the next release (the sooner the
better). Let me know what you think.

Cristian