[WebKit-devel] Building against KDE 4.3

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Wed Jan 27 18:18:43 CET 2010

On Wednesday 27 January 2010 07:04:41 Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [cc:s appreciated, thanks.]
>
> On Tuesday 26 January 2010 21.55:01 I wrote:
> > Hmm.  Tried to build from svn at
> > svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/playground/libs/webkitkde and failed
>
> > with:
> Ok, thanks for the fix.
>
> About the KDE 4.3 support being dropped:  Well, nothing I can do about ...
>
> :-)
>
> I'll just be unable to upload updated packages until the Debian KDE
> packagers upload 4.4.
>
> Except that the svn url changes, the move probably won't change the build,
> right?  extragear components are all quite independent?

No and not really... The build will change because the webkit kpart will
depend on Qt 4.6 and KDE 4.4 once it is moved into extragear and I believe
extragear itself does that right now as well...  More importantly though the
"kdewebkit" component has been moved into kdelibs starting with 4.4 which will
result in the version in playground being dropped once KDE 4.4 comes out.
Hence, there will be no way to compile the webkit kpart code once that
happens...

> Another issue I just throught about: What's the function of the
> libkdewebkit / libkwebkit libraries?  Will these go away?  Are they to be
> considered private for use by the kpart?  Is anybody else using them /
> expected to use them?

No, all of those libraries are needed...

libkdewebkit is the KDE wrapper of QtWebKit and is the public library is the
basis of QtWebKit integration for all applications that do not require/need a
KPart component.

libkwebkit & libwebkitpart are both KPart component libraries. KPart libraries
always have two parts. Applications that want to use the part will link
against libkwebkit where as KPart based applications, such as konqueror, will
request and load this library through the component querying service using
libkwebkitpart...