[WebKit-devel] QtWebKit / KDE WebKit and HTML5 video

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Sun Jan 24 23:01:56 CET 2010

On Sunday 24 January 2010 14:18:51 Markus wrote:
> Hi.
> I'm not sure if that's an upstream (Qt) bug, a KDE Phonon bug, or a bug
>  within SUSE's Qt 4 packages. Maybe you can help me.
>
> According to http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/QtWebKitFeatures45 HTML5's video
>  tag should work since Qt 4.5, but for me (Qt 4.6) it doesn't work: Neither
>  YouTube's HTML5 beta test (AVC codecs are installed), nor Theora videos (
>  http://firefogg.org/make/mwEmbed/example_usage/Player_Simple_Themable.html
>  ) works in Rekonq and Arora.
>
> What are your experiences?

Well this is a known issue and has been for a while. The <video> tag has never
worked at least for me with Qt 4.5 and multiple releases of KDE 4.x releases.
It is something that is on my TODO list to investigate. I even have a test
case for testing it. I am not entirely sure, but as far as I recall the issue
has something to do with the multiple variations of Phonon available prior to
the one in KDE being deprecated ??? in favor of the one in Qt. Anyhow, once
KDE 4.4 is released, I will hopefully have the chance to investigate this
issue...

Just as FYI though here is what I get on Qt 4.5 with the latest KDE 4.3.x
branch:

Arora:
  I get the error message "Your browser does not seem to support..."

ReKonq:
  I see the first thumbnail image of the video and get a dark blank square
where the player should be...

Konqueror + kwebkitpart:
I see the player with the controls and initial thumbnail image of the video,
but clicking on the Play button results in nothing!

Regards,
Dawit A.