[WebKit-devel] KDE Webkit status update...

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Thu Oct 1 18:14:11 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 30 September 2009 15:39:32 you wrote:
> > #3 Qt's built-in flash support should work with the following exceptions
> >  and conditions:
> >
> >    ** If you change the default user-agent, then expect the browser to
> >  crash when you leave a site that contains flash content. Dunno the cause
> >  because the crash occurs inside the flash plugin.
>
> Is't it hardcoded so it would not crash in any case? I think it does not
>  make any sense if the user can change the UA for the flashplayer.

Nope and there is nothing we can do about it since it is inside of QtWebKit.
If you change whatever QWebPage deems as the default useragent string expect a
crash. At least that is what happens here. The good news is there is no need
to change the user-agent for most things when you use this rendering agent so
that should not happen often. The "qt4-gtk-engine" is a much worst problem
though...

> > #5 Konqueror plugin support:
> >
> >    ** Searchbar plugin has been fixed so that it is available when using
> >        webkitpart.
> >
> >    ** Partial support for the adblock plugin. Currently we only use the
> >  rules to block ads.
>
> For example the KGet plugin should work as well; I have added support there
> some time ago.

Right... I only listed the ones that were not working correct and got fixed
now. Most of the plugins work, but there are few that do not and I have

[snipped]
> > #5 Implementing all missing khtml/konqueror features that can also be
> > made available in kdewebkit/konqueror.
>
> What features are you talking about? What would you like to put into that
> place?

These are really small features. The devil is always in the details ; so
someone needs to go through all the web specific config options in Konqueror and
see which ones might be missing, but as an example, the link security check
and displaying nice error page messages are a couple of features that I
implemented by looking at the khtml. Other features such as the popup blocker
dialog etc need further discussion, but are features I am sure people would
like to have. Still others like disabling plugins and such cannot be readily
implemented right now since QtWebKit does not yet have support for doing that.

> One comment from my side: I would like to put kdewebkit (the binding
>  between kdelibs <-> QtWebKit into kdelibs/webkit ASAP. I think the current
>  state of this part is quite good. Most bugs have been fixed there. This
>  way many apps/libs could use KWeb* instead of QWeb so they could profit
>  from the KDE- integration. Any objections / ideas?

I have no objections to that. That portion has been stable for a while now and
has all the KDE integration already....

> Btw, thanks a lot for your really nice work on this part of KDE! :)

Well I did it for own selfish reason, but I guess it is the proverbial "itch to
scratch" case ; so ur  welcome... ;)